We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Women's Prestige 2013 Results
Images - Brian Vernor
1 Thirsty Fusion in 8 hours, 33 minutes
2 Studio Velo 8:50
3 DFL 8:52 (winner of all the champagne)
4 OneSeven 8:55
5 Upper Echelon 8:57
6 Red Racing 8:58
7 Kitorder.com 9:23
8 Ritte Women's Race Team 9:39
9 Strava 9:48
10 Early Bird 10:44
11 SF2G 10:45
12 Bike Effect 10:59
13 Mission Cycling 11:05
14 Clif Bar 11:07
15 Iron Clad-Yakima Lanterne Rouge in 11 hours 31 minutes
DNF (this is to say that they didn't finish with all six riders):
Rio Strada Racing
Girl Bike Love
"Climbing is the best decongestant." It was a statement that was echoed over the course of the weekend by Team Rapha rider Cynthia Young who was not the only person to be bogged down by the pollen floating thick in the San Francisco air. Not only was the sentiment great for everyone's heads as they faced roughly 12,000 feet of climbing on the day but it was also a welcome respite from the hustle of the city surrounding the Cycle Club starting location.
Twenty teams were caffeinated and out on the route — designed by Scott Penzarella of Studio Velo — before 10am. They headed out over the Golden Gate bridge and into the headlands looking back at the City of San Francisco. Despite a few technical problems early on — the gravel climb of Mt. Tamalpais (or Mt. Tam if you're local) proved to be one of the hardest parts of the course and came within the first ten miles. But, no one was to be deterred from making it all the way.
Before the start the talk of the inclusion of Mt. Vision was on the forefront of everyone's mind. Due to the up and back nature of the climb it does not generally feature on people's weekly long rides. But, with clear skies, the view from the top was spectacular on all sides, even if it was yet a long way from the finish line. They would still have to climb up and past Alpine Dam and up and over the Seven Sisters (a section of road that, when ridden in this direction takes on a decidedly harsher sisterly approach). This was not a route to be taken lightly.
There were teams that made the trip from Los Angeles (Ritte Women's Race Team) and all the way from Wisconsin (Trek Bikes) and of course the returning champion team all the way from our hometown of Portland Oregon (Upper Echelon). More importantly there were teams from all over California and specifically there were many teams from the heart of San Francisco. There was also a Rapha team from all over the West Coast sporting Cyclofemme tattoos on their calves and Cyclofemme founder Sarai Snyder was herself competing with her GirlBikeLove team.
When the day was (finally) over there were still those teams. Indeed there was a winner, which wasn't completely clear at first for unseen reasons, but it didn't seem to matter as everyone gathered around the parking lot of the Cycle Club gulping down beverages and smiling as the spring sun warmed everyone around.
The Women's Prestige - full stories and film - mid-May.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9