Now expanded for Spring/ Summer 2012, the Rapha Women’s collection offers key training and racing products with optimum function and form for women riders.
We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
If you’ve ever been passed in a race by someone half your age (it happens to all of us), you’ve probably felt the pain and embarrassment when instead of just pummeling you as she rides off into the distance, she turns and cheers you on. This is that girl. One of the nicest, talented young riders around, Emily Barnes comes from one of the UK’s most gifted families in cycling and is making a name for herself on the road, the track and muddy fields around the country. Here’s a very short introduction.
A big race looms on the horizon. Until a couple of months ago, I managed to all but put off everything but the most basic of training, favoring learning how to ride a mountain bike over actually putting in hard miles on the road. Work was taking over my life with several consecutive days off the bike loosening my grip. Minor injuring hummed in my trapeziums at night and left me tired every morning. On top of it all I decided to move in with my boyfriend, to simplify things of course. This was the year I’d decided to train like a pro. What had happened? Guilt compounded with fear and denial.
Rapha will be headline sponsors of the London Women’s Cycle Racing League (LWCR) in 2012. Established in 2010, the league is a series of grass-roots races in London and the South East catering for the growing number of women taking up competitive cycling. A great platform to introduce newcomers to racing, the league allows riders to develop their skills and learn how to race.
Rapha-FOCUS racer Julie Krasniak checks in with a short, personal recap of her recent Cyclocross World Cup race in Zolder, her first in Belgium. Julie spent the majority of her first season of cross in the US, competing in USGP events, Cross Crusade and even getting in some time in the Los Angeles sun. But her return to European soil has proven difficult. During a week known as Christmas Cross, Julie was reintroduced to the dark and dreary conditions that can be a feature of the European cross scene. Having raced in both the Plzen and Tabor World Cup events in the Czech Republic, where she finished 25th and 24th respectively, how would she fare in Belgium?
Photos by Gem Atkinson
On Saturday, a group rode from Richmond Park to Windsor for a seasonal jaunt out of the city. Hosted by Rapha riders Collyn Ahart and Gem Atkinson, here’s an account from the front and the back.
Gem from the back: As fifteen fast females forgathered in a well known South West London location on a freezing morning, you could be forgiven this was a missing part of a festive rhyme involving such frivolities as a partridge and a pear-tree etc etc. However festive and yuletide the ride intended to be, the cruelly timed rain at the onset of the ride quickly threatened to put a dampener on any mirth-like feelings.
Two weeks ago in Boulder, Colorado the Women's categories were just as hotly contested as the men, especially since they have to work a little harder for their prize money (the second day's cash for the ladies was boosted by the days wine sales, but only for the ladies.) These races in Boulder (Colorado Classic & the Boulder Cup) were also the entrance onto the US Racing scene for our lady in the candystriped Team Rapha-FOCUS kit — Julie Krasniak. Julie had the chance to meet and match her competition a week earlier in the Czech Republic at the World Cup in Tabor.
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!