We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
As we have seen from Graeme Raeburn recently, clocking up the miles during winter is actually possible. Although Mr. Raeburn is one of the more ‘hardcore’ cyclists I know and that shorter days, work commitments, family life and inclement weather make it a struggle, riding hard and consistently through the colder months of the year is achievable.
This last month the UK has seen a lot of snow and ice, and for the first time I have considered acquiring a set of rollers, or even a turbo. Yet, when I do motivate myself to drag my limbs out of bed that extra hour or two earlier, and take to the task of getting dressed (see Tom Southam’s piece) in several layers of Lycra and merino that feel a lot tighter than before, riding in winter isn’t as bad as some would have you believe.
In fact, I feel quite smug riding my all-weather tyres with new mudguards and frame pump intact. That extra espresso is compulsory but gives you more kick as you hit the country lanes. That ‘freshness’ on the face from those north winds aren’t so painful, as long as you’re core is keeping warm and the cadence is good. And then once you break past the lingering memory of a warm bed and catch a rhythm, one finds that you can actually ride.
All images © Ben Ingham
Indeed, the bare trees and shivering hedgerows allow you to see more of the landscape and the low winter sun can be absolutely beautiful (see Matt Seaton’s Tales of the Winter Rider). When you arrive home the warmth of a hot shower or bath and a well earned coffee is sublime. Then there is the satisfaction of knowing your friends/rivals have stayed in bed and you can ride strong into the spring with big lungs and good legs.
- RT @mike_cuming: good luck to the fellas @Porterelliott @willstephenson and @edlaverack in the U23 TT today...
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...