We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Charles Pelissier (pictured above), younger sibling of the rebellious Henri And Francis Pelissier, did not possess the natural racing ability of his older brothers. However, whilst Henri and Francis made their name with athletic prowess and outspoken views (Henri famously declaring that Tour riders of the time were treated ‘like dogs’) Charles became the first cycling pinup due to his his good looks and personal grooming. A precursor to peacocks of the peloton such as Koblet and Anquetil, Pelissier was also the first man to wear sparkling white socks.
Contrasting with his tanned legs, Pelissier’s white socks and the importance he placed upon his appearance made him a favourite with French housewives. He also won the affection of Henri Desgrange who gave him plenty of column inches in his paper L’Auto, particularly in the 1930 Tour. Interestingly the bunch sprint, which Desgrange had previously been averse to reporting on, became part of the main attraction due to Pelissier's popularity and being a decent sprinter. He was the first ‘Euro’ cyclist, using racing attire and swagger to acquire marginal gains on and off the road.
White socks and black shoes became de rigueur for race day and Hugo Koblet, Le Pédaleur de Charme, not only wore immaculate white socks along with his carefully coiffered locks but even drove a white Alfa Romeo (at top speed).
Jacques Anquetil, riding away with sparkling chaussettes.
Mario Cipollini, who enjoyed the adoration of Italy and beyond, was undoubtedly a peacock of the peloton, the archetypal Euro rider with rainbow stripes and plenty of eccentricity.
Of course, white socks should only be worn in dry conditions. Above: Eddy Merckx displays why oversocks were invented.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS