We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Charles Pelissier (pictured above), younger sibling of the rebellious Henri And Francis Pelissier, did not possess the natural racing ability of his older brothers. However, whilst Henri and Francis made their name with athletic prowess and outspoken views (Henri famously declaring that Tour riders of the time were treated ‘like dogs’) Charles became the first cycling pinup due to his his good looks and personal grooming. A precursor to peacocks of the peloton such as Koblet and Anquetil, Pelissier was also the first man to wear sparkling white socks.
Contrasting with his tanned legs, Pelissier’s white socks and the importance he placed upon his appearance made him a favourite with French housewives. He also won the affection of Henri Desgrange who gave him plenty of column inches in his paper L’Auto, particularly in the 1930 Tour. Interestingly the bunch sprint, which Desgrange had previously been averse to reporting on, became part of the main attraction due to Pelissier's popularity and being a decent sprinter. He was the first ‘Euro’ cyclist, using racing attire and swagger to acquire marginal gains on and off the road.
White socks and black shoes became de rigueur for race day and Hugo Koblet, Le Pédaleur de Charme, not only wore immaculate white socks along with his carefully coiffered locks but even drove a white Alfa Romeo (at top speed).
Jacques Anquetil, riding away with sparkling chaussettes.
Mario Cipollini, who enjoyed the adoration of Italy and beyond, was undoubtedly a peacock of the peloton, the archetypal Euro rider with rainbow stripes and plenty of eccentricity.
Of course, white socks should only be worn in dry conditions. Above: Eddy Merckx displays why oversocks were invented.
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!