We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
West Hills Continental - Feb. 10, 2008
Rapha and The Rapha Continental Riders hosted an unsanctioned 39 mile Brevet-style ride in Portland’s very special Northwest Hills. The route, a classic selection of surfaces, scenery and climbs organized into something approaching a figure-eight, offered an unparalleled introduction to road riding in the northwest. From unpaved climbs to 40 mph descents, and from the heart of the city to rolling country roads, and back again.
After a great late night of Rapha Roller Racing, the 6:00am alarm for Sunday’s customer ride with the Rapha Continental team was feeling like a very bad idea. Portland riders had been living on a high for going on 72 hours, so we arrived back at the Rapha Gallery that morning unsure how many cyclists would join us for coffee and breakfast at 7:00. But at 7:30 when it was time to roll, we were nearly 50 strong, even with a mist that was threatening real rain.
It was a great amalgamation of riders - from all across the country - people on travel bikes, rented bikes, classic steel and future carbon. Small packs headed up the gravel of Saltzman into the West Hills to experience 40 miles of Portland rollers. The rain never came, but the climbing did as we did just over 4000ft., not a bad Sunday morning go.
As the later groups descended Cornell’s tunnels we saw a familiar rider on a Trek wearing black and yellow, Lance Armstrong was just starting his ride with friends. So, I suppose you could say that we all beat Lance to the line that morning.
Click image to download pdf.
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw
- They reopened the ice covered fly-over here in Bend. http://t.co/6xOs5BSd0W
- River City Bicycles racer Ryan (Dream) Weaver 2_wicked_awesome powered his way to a chilly 2nd in the… http://t.co/HDDjDnS99w
- Meanwhile over in Bend, Oregon it is a bright, crisp day for cyclocross racing. http://t.co/6lcDQK5UNX
- If you're in Scottsdale, Arizona, make sure to stop by the beautiful new @bicyclehaus shop. 2 - 7pm. http://t.co/gsWtf6fa45
- Win today's Alpe D'Quiz prize: a Men's or Women's Classic Softshell. ‘A thing of beauty,’ according to The Times. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq