Diese Seite wurde noch nicht in die gewünschte Sprache übersetzt.
We are showing you the German version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sie befinden sich in der deutschen Version unserer Webseite: Möchten Sie eine andere Sprache auswählen?
Voiture Balai Centenary
Introduced to the Tour in 1910, the year the race first went into the Mountains, the voiture balai or broom wagon follows the last rider on the road. If the balai catches struggling riders they must climb off and retire, handing in their race numbers. The van literally sweeps the remnants of the peloton off the road. Until 1992 the balai always had an old-fashioned broom strapped to its roof, although rumour has it that a broom can still be found inside the modern balai.
The most iconic voiture balai is the Citroën H Van, which became the broom wagon post World War II. This was then superceded by the Citroën HY in 1958 until Renault took over in the early 1960s. A total of 473,289 were produced between 1947 and 1981 in factories in France and Belgium.
The Rapha H Van
The distinctive corrugated or 'rippled' body work was inspired by Junkers (German Aircraft), these ribs added strength without adding weight. M. Franchiset, who had worked for Citroën since 1922, designed the body. He was the inventor of these lightweight corrugated panels and the pinless "clasp hands" used on the doors. This front-wheel-drive vehicle also features a front sub-frame that carries all the mechanical parts.
Standard production models included the fourgon (van), betaillere ("beast carrier") and plateau (pick up). Customisation of these vans was common, such as camper-vans, fire engines or even mobile laboratoires, such customisation can be seen in the classic vehicles of the Tour caravan.
H Van graphic by Samuel Huddleston
- The #raphaprestige story is up. Film by @WEREHAUS, photos from Brian Vernor & story by @krasniakjulie ::http://t.co/YtCARBlXee
- Clancy takes the win in the Tour series in Aberystwyth.
- @alainrumpf sorry for late reply. Comprehensive site is http://t.co/gBvpR134lP. As Udo Bölts once said, 'quäl' dich, du Sau!' Enjoy!
- On Friday May 31st, Rapha will be hosting a ride from Rapperswil-Jona on the banks of Lake Zurich. More info to follow next week on rapha.cc
- Boss. Norwegian national champion's replica jersey and bib shorts now at rapha.cc. http://t.co/fpyjc3PeiM
- As the #Giro begins to climax, @herbiesykes looks at one of its long-established traditions—the one-stage wonder. → http://t.co/mydWSIHSrT
- @clotho_nor Hi Christopher, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll see what we can do. Thanks.
- The Tour Series continues tonight in Aberystwyth. Last year Kristian House took his second win of the series there.
- UK: We are hosting a @letapedutour evening on 14th June in London to provide detailed advice on what to expect. → http://t.co/2gP5KRi8fX
- Churchill → http://t.co/5yhkiupJAH #raphasurvey #wayfaring #cycling