We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) takes place this month in Richmond VA and Rapha will be there amongst America’s finest frame builders. Of the exhibitors, Florida’s Villin Cycleworks will be present for the third year running.
Florida’s sub-tropical humidity accommodates the balloon-tyred cruiser more readily than slender racing machines. Alexis Dold and Joe Marchionno’s workshop in Gainesville FL makes the bridge between old crafts and new technology, constructing idiosyncratic frames that are a refreshing departure from the ubiquitous track frame.
They have recently employed the ancient processes of forging and pattern welding to give their pieces a uniquely artisan energy.
I’m using 1095 high carbon steel and pure nickel that I heat in a forge and hammer together. I fold it and repeat it. It’s the same way swords and knives are made. First I make a flat plate then I cut out the pieces I want and shape them. An acid bath knocks back the color of the steel so it contrasts with the nickel.
Alexis refused to bore me with the details of the shaping, sanding and polishing but the finished article is mesmerizing. There is a modest yet slightly eccentric beauty that comes across in Villin’s frame-works. Alexis and Joe express their ideas through bikes, and they seem to be more articulate than many other builders I have seen of late.
See more at villincycleworks.com
Alexis acknowledges Dr Steve Bloom at ironflower.com for his support.
See the finished bike at NAHBS 2010 (Feb 26-28, Richmond, VA)
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries