We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The North American Handmade Bicycle Show (NAHBS) takes place this month in Richmond VA and Rapha will be there amongst America’s finest frame builders. Of the exhibitors, Florida’s Villin Cycleworks will be present for the third year running.
Florida’s sub-tropical humidity accommodates the balloon-tyred cruiser more readily than slender racing machines. Alexis Dold and Joe Marchionno’s workshop in Gainesville FL makes the bridge between old crafts and new technology, constructing idiosyncratic frames that are a refreshing departure from the ubiquitous track frame.
They have recently employed the ancient processes of forging and pattern welding to give their pieces a uniquely artisan energy.
I’m using 1095 high carbon steel and pure nickel that I heat in a forge and hammer together. I fold it and repeat it. It’s the same way swords and knives are made. First I make a flat plate then I cut out the pieces I want and shape them. An acid bath knocks back the color of the steel so it contrasts with the nickel.
Alexis refused to bore me with the details of the shaping, sanding and polishing but the finished article is mesmerizing. There is a modest yet slightly eccentric beauty that comes across in Villin’s frame-works. Alexis and Joe express their ideas through bikes, and they seem to be more articulate than many other builders I have seen of late.
See more at villincycleworks.com
Alexis acknowledges Dr Steve Bloom at ironflower.com for his support.
See the finished bike at NAHBS 2010 (Feb 26-28, Richmond, VA)
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr
- Part Two from @RigoZimmerman's series, ‘The Winter’ is now available to read → http://t.co/GIl5Kj9Sfy • Part One → http://t.co/8IclbHCHcc
- As teased at the weekend, Rapha is pleased to welcome the return of Alpe d’Quiz, three weeks of… http://t.co/od3pWXomm9
- The 2013 edition of Alpe d’Quiz is now underway. For a chance to win a Rapha Backpack + Rain Cover, enter here → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq