We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
V&A Friday Late: eat, ride, sleep, repeat
The Victoria and Albert Museum are curating an evening celebrating the diverse design culture inspired by the bicycle. Ruth Lie, Friday Late Programme Coordinator, told us a little bit about the event:
“I'd always wanted to do something about bicycles, and the way in which they've influenced the design world, especially in the aftermath of the Olympics and with it taking off as a more acceptable mainstream culture. I had also got a little obsessed with bikes over the last few years, researching into the geometry of bikes, brands, shops and framebuilders.
“So it was very exciting to be able to put this idea forward and for it to go full steam ahead. The evening will basically explore the diverse design culture that surrounds and is inspired by the bicycle - everything from graphic design, to film, fashion, photography and performance.”
The evening will also feature portraits by Rapha Survey photographer for London, George Marshall:
“Originally I'd wanted George to come in and take portraits of visitors as they came to the museum. But after chatting for a while, we came up with this quick project which has really helped to relate the event to the museum context as a whole. I loved the idea of photographing museum staff in locations that had a certain meaning to them or that resonated with their style and the type of bicycle they have. The contrast of old and new, the collections vs. bicycles, really makes for a beautiful photo.”
• Friday 29 March 18.30–22.00
• The Victoria and Albert Museum (entrance via Cromwell Road)
• Admission free
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq