We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vainqueur de l'Étape
Stage 17, Les Menuires - Alpe d'Huez, 1979
The Portugese puncheur completed the Tour de France 12 times and was one of the most feared racers of his era. In 1979, riding for the French Flandria team, he won the first of two stages (Joop Zoetemelk won the other) to finish atop Alpe d'Huez, one of the Tour's most notorious Hors Categorie climbs.
PIERRE LE BIGAUT
Stage 14, Aurillac - Issoire, 1983
The fresh-faced 24 year-old from Brittany made the 149km stage his by soloing from the breakaway group on the approach to Issoire. The Guémenois Bigaut was a domestique in the Coop-Mercier team, which contained Joop Zoetemelk.
These riders were the inspiration for two Etape du Tour jerseys created by Rapha for this year's Act I and II. Coming soon.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS