We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
UK Super Cross 2013 - Rounds One & Two
Photos credit to Jonathan Hines
UK Super Cross 2013 - Broughton Hall and Philips Park
Hope Factory Racing began the defence of their title in a convincing manner in the spectacular setting of Broughton Hall, north Yorkshire.
Winners of the Rapha Super Cross title for the previous two years, Hope packed three riders into the top ten positions, led home as usual by captain Paul Oldham.
Twice runners-up Hargroves also put two riders in good positions – Jody Crawforth and under-23 winner Steve James – as did Rouleur and Yorkshire, but Hope’s Dave Collins and Dan Booth rode strongly together to clinch the win.
Annie Simpson, also riding for Hope, comfortably led home the women – passing a fair few men in the process – followed by Diane Lee (Felt-Colbornes-Hargroves) and Delia Beddis (Raleigh).
With in the region of 500 riders, from five-year-olds to veterans, taking the line at Broughton Hall, it was a full-on day of racing, capped off with the fun category, featuring the wall of foam and infamous tequila shortcut. Our host Roger Tempest distributed shots dressed in a fetching pair of gold lamé leggings…
Heading into Manchester for round 2, a gripping three-way battle throughout the race between Paul Oldham, Jody Crawforth and Steve James ended with the Hope Factory Racing man taking the spoils of Rapha Super Cross in British Cycling’s home town.
The Hargroves Cycles duo fought to regain the back wheel of Oldham after several attempts to dislodge them, only cracking in the final stages, leaving the Hope captain once again to lead his team home to victory.
Annie Simpson made it a winning weekend all round for Hope, taking the women’s race in style, as she had done the previous day in Yorkshire. Diane Lee (Felt-Colbornes-Hargroves) was again runner-up, with junior Amira Mellor (Rapha-GB) producing a fine rider for third.
A good supply of crepes, cowbells, frites and Belgian beer kept the crowd in fine voice throughout the day, right through to the closing Fun race and its tequila shortcut, wall of foam, and head-spinning ‘Spiral of Doom’.
Rapha Super Cross now heads for London and the big finale at Alexandra Palace next Sunday (October 27).
Elite Team Standings after two rounds
1. Hope Factory Racing | 20 pts
2. Hargroves Cycles | 18pts
3. Rouleur | 16pts
4. Raleigh | 12pts
5. Rapha-GB | 11pts
6. Yorkshire CCA | 10pts
7. Felt-Colbornes-Hargroves | 9pts
8. MG-Maxifuel | 8pts
9. Charge | 4pts
1. Paul Oldham (Hope Factory Racing)
2. Jody Crawforth (Hargroves Cycles)
3. Steve James (Hargroves Cycles)
4. Dave Collins (Hope Factory Racing)
5. Mike Thompson (Hope Factory Racing)
6. Nick Barnes (Raleigh)
7. Nick Craig (Rouleur)
8. Dan Booth (Hope Factory Racing)
9. Adam King (Rapha-GB)
10. John Whittington (MG-Maxifuel)
1. Annie Simpson (Hope Factory Racing)
2. Diane Lee (Felt-Colbornes-Hargroves)
3. Amira Mellor (Rapha-GB)
Steve James (Hargroves Cycles)
Don't forget you can still enter the competition here
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.