We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Two Broad Arrows
The second of our trio of films made in conjunction with RSA takes inspiration from Irish racing legend Sean Kelly. Two Broad Arrows, a coming of age story, was written and directed by Adrian Moat who discusses his film below.
The idea was to make a short film that reflected the spirit and drive of Sean Kelly by relating him to the real world, not just the world of cycling. I wanted to capture a sense of possibility by using him as an example of a man that knows how to suffer, and to identify his spirit with the potential of youth.
So Two Broad Arrows is a coming of age story about a boy who is on the turn of manhood while being strangled by family tension. Through rage the boy discovers a bicycle and then finds himself in a position where he must try harder than he has ever tried before.
Although shot in Northumberland, and in Geordie tongue, the context of a rural farm and rolling green hills has strong echoes of Kelly’s early days in Ireland. Kelly was out of school and working as a bricklayer by the age of 16 before he picked up a bicycle and began winning local races. So I wanted the former scenes to establish working class frankness, earthy and real. For the predicament to relate to many kids out there who find it difficult to know what to do with themselves at this daunting and exciting age.
Two Broad Arrows is about confidence, discovery and learning how to try.
Two Broad Arrows will be screened at www.rapha.cc between Friday 20th and Saturday 21st August 2010.
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…