We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Two Broad Arrows
The second of our trio of films made in conjunction with RSA takes inspiration from Irish racing legend Sean Kelly. Two Broad Arrows, a coming of age story, was written and directed by Adrian Moat who discusses his film below.
The idea was to make a short film that reflected the spirit and drive of Sean Kelly by relating him to the real world, not just the world of cycling. I wanted to capture a sense of possibility by using him as an example of a man that knows how to suffer, and to identify his spirit with the potential of youth.
So Two Broad Arrows is a coming of age story about a boy who is on the turn of manhood while being strangled by family tension. Through rage the boy discovers a bicycle and then finds himself in a position where he must try harder than he has ever tried before.
Although shot in Northumberland, and in Geordie tongue, the context of a rural farm and rolling green hills has strong echoes of Kelly’s early days in Ireland. Kelly was out of school and working as a bricklayer by the age of 16 before he picked up a bicycle and began winning local races. So I wanted the former scenes to establish working class frankness, earthy and real. For the predicament to relate to many kids out there who find it difficult to know what to do with themselves at this daunting and exciting age.
Two Broad Arrows is about confidence, discovery and learning how to try.
Two Broad Arrows will be screened at www.rapha.cc between Friday 20th and Saturday 21st August 2010.
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0