We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Cycle Club LDN is currently running an exhibition celebrating the centenary of the Col du Tourmalet.
On 21st July 1910, Stage 10 of the Tour travelled over the Col du Tourmalet for the first time. It was Alphonse Steinès, wingman to Tour founder Henri Desgrange, who first suggested the race send riders over the Giant of the Pyrenees. As well as bikes from circa 1910 the exhibition contains the notebooks of Alphonse Steinès.
In early 1910, Steinès had undertaken a reconnaissance of the mountain. Having stopped his car four kilometres from the summit, he continued on foot. Rumour has it he retuned to Barèges on the western side of the Tourmalet with hypothermia, having escaped the clutches of a bear, to send a telegram from the gendarme station to Desgrange in Paris, which read:
PASSE TOURMALET. STOP. TRES BONNE ROUTE. STOP. PARFAITEMENT PASSABLE. STOP. SIGNE: Steinès.
This "Perfectly Acceptable" mountain would then go on to feature more times than any other climb in the history of the Grand Boucle.
We have also just launched the Tourmalet Jersey, a commemorative piece that nods towards Steinès, the "father of the mountains", and Octave "Curly" Lapize, the victor of that infamous stage over the Tourmalet and overall winner of the 1910 Tour.
In honour of Lapize, Steinès and the Col du Tourmalet, Rapha organised the 1910 Challenge ride - a 326km journey taking in the Aubisque, Peyresourde, Soulor and, of course, the Tourmalet. Four intrepid/mad riders relived the route of stage 10 of the Tour from 100 years ago. The exhibition also shows a short film recounting this monstrous tribute ride.
You can read more about the 1910 Challenge here »
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.