We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Time for Touring
© Jobst Brandt
After a week where volcanic ash prevented thousands of people from flying to locations in and out of Europe, it's time to rethink the art of travel. Supposing we didn't have the convenience of commercial flight and instead depended on more grounded means of transportation, how should we approach it? Two words: Cycle Touring. It seems that we have grown far too dependent on air travel and spend all weekend in the departure lounge.
Of course, Rapha has its own brand of cycle-touring planned this summer in the form of the Rapha Randonnées where riders will undoubtedly have to make use of air travel. But I predict 2010 is the year to dust off the panniers and bedrolls and set off to the Alps, Dolomites or Rockies and create your own brevet without even a sniff of an airport . Rapha even have guides to help you plan such journeys.
© Pete Drinkell
Yes, cycle touring may remind you of wrinkly old buzzards in anoraks, but it doesn't have to be that way. So don your Touring Shorts, grab your Michelin Maps and get touring.
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB