Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Tim Johnson's Ride on Washington
photos from 2010 US Cyclocross National Championships
Look at that face. That is a face you can trust. Not only has Tim Johnson been at the front of the professional US Road and Cyclocross scenes, but he has also been actively engaging the bicycle advocacy community as well. Last year this culminated as Tim traveled to Washington D.C. to speak at the National Bike Summit. This year will be a bit more interesting as he intends to ride his bicycle from Boston, Massachusetts to Washington D.C. for the summit. Joining him will be a cadre of riders (including esteemed cycling announcer Richard Fries) that make up a cross section of the bicycle industry and riding community in Boston and beyond. But what does all this have to do with us?
In an effort to help this crew ride into the Nation's Capital we have come to their aid in a variety of ways. The first is that we have outfitted them with not only some of our Winter Riding clothing but also some selections from the City Riding offerings that we have this year. The ride will be a great venue to put some of the clothes to the test amidst the wintry conditions here in New England.
The second part is that we have offered up myself to help with the documentation of the ride from Boston. When Tim called to ask if I wanted to be a part of this crew there was no way that I could have said no. The chance to ride alongside a true professional and pick his brain is not something that comes long too often. Along the way we will be stopping by the Transportation departments of Boston, Providence, New York City, Philadelphia and Baltimore to discuss their active roles in making the bicycle more a part of each of these cities.
There are a few things happening that will facilitate the ride, which will be departing from Boston this Friday, March 4th.
Tim and Richard Fries have asked each of us to raise $1,000 to help with not only the travels costs associated with this but also to help raise money for Bikes Belong. As you can see, I am a bit behind the group and about to be dropped, so, if you feel so inclined, every little bit helps.
Our Retail Partner Ride Studio Café will be hosting the official kick off party the night before we depart. From the response on Facebook it looks to be a raucous event that will gather the whole of the Boston Cycling community to help raise the stakes for this motley crew of riders. All of the ride sponsors will have prizes to raffle off as well (Red Bull, Cannondale, RCS, Strava, Thule, Embrocation Cycling Journal, Light and Motion, Mad Alchemy and Firefly Bicycles.)
A lot can happen in 500 miles of riding, so follow along as I talk to the riders, review their clothing choices and try to figure out what all this advocacy stuff really means.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: LDN: great to have @DanMartin86 as guest barista in the club this afternoon. http://t.co/IeCC0HKuKr