We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Thin Blue Line
I was fortunate to be a guest at the launch of Team Sky this morning in London. Unusually, for a pro cycling event, the launch started with a bike ride.
It was minus 2 degrees celsius when we met under the Millenium Wheel on the Thames. But the sun was shining and the sky was an appropriately corporate blue. Groups of us rode from several start points through central London with (or, rather, behind) the pros, before meeting on the Mall for a few laps of St. James Park. A nice way to start the year, although it was strange to be one of two hundred 'rats' following the pied piper, Mr. Wiggins and his new team-mates…
The impressive launch proper was held at Millbank Tower. At the heart of the ethos of this new British team is the idea of 'the thin blue line'. It's the difference between being good and being great, between winning and losing. It's a great expression of Dave Brailsford's belief in the power of aggregating marginal gains (something he brings from his success with British track cycling).
The electric blue line features prominently on the kit, bikes, bus, cars and pretty much everything to do with the team. We're going to get very used to seeing it and the riders will no doubt get used to walking it, and riding it. I suppose that's precisely what Dave has in mind.
If this exciting launch today is anything to go by, Team Sky have a great chance of crossing the thin blue line from good to great this year.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb