We are showing you the Global version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Thin Blue Line
I was fortunate to be a guest at the launch of Team Sky this morning in London. Unusually, for a pro cycling event, the launch started with a bike ride.
It was minus 2 degrees celsius when we met under the Millenium Wheel on the Thames. But the sun was shining and the sky was an appropriately corporate blue. Groups of us rode from several start points through central London with (or, rather, behind) the pros, before meeting on the Mall for a few laps of St. James Park. A nice way to start the year, although it was strange to be one of two hundred 'rats' following the pied piper, Mr. Wiggins and his new team-mates…
The impressive launch proper was held at Millbank Tower. At the heart of the ethos of this new British team is the idea of 'the thin blue line'. It's the difference between being good and being great, between winning and losing. It's a great expression of Dave Brailsford's belief in the power of aggregating marginal gains (something he brings from his success with British track cycling).
The electric blue line features prominently on the kit, bikes, bus, cars and pretty much everything to do with the team. We're going to get very used to seeing it and the riders will no doubt get used to walking it, and riding it. I suppose that's precisely what Dave has in mind.
If this exciting launch today is anything to go by, Team Sky have a great chance of crossing the thin blue line from good to great this year.
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries