We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Rapha Roller Race: Culture Clash II
Saturday 17th November 2007
Roller race record falls. It was an amazing night of roller racing and music on Saturday in central London. The courier team came from behind to win the competition, with sometime Rapha model and messenger Seb winning in great style. The long standing Rollapaluza record fell to Simon Jackson with a time of 19.80.
The record was in fact beaten four times as the night progressed as roller techniques were perfected and muscles loosened up.
The night commenced with guests and competitors greeted with a red carpet entrance at the Classic Car Club, where Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Aston Martins and many other beautiful vehicles were on display. The atmosphere was completed with the staging of the racing duels in a boxing ring and live music performed by upcoming band Cyclones.
Culture Clash II saw teams representing London couriers, media folk, cycling journalists and mystery Dutch riders, all climbing into the ring to raise funds for Leuka. When the racing truly got underway in the knockout rounds, the crowd responded: the atmosphere highly charged with spectators cheering in support of their favourite teams and riders.
London’s male courier team (placing last at the previous event) bagged a convincing victory in an all courier final. Emma Cairns, from the media team, won the girls’ competition in equally convincing manner and sealed the overall victory for the Fireflies over the courier ladies.
Another wonderful night of roller racing in collaboration with Rollapaluza is on the cards for February 2008. More teams and the chance for anyone to test their skills on the rollers. Details to follow.
images by Mark Denton
See more details about roller racing at:
Rolling the Night Away
Culture Clash Roller Race - The Rollers Return!
Cycling Weakly - Journalists sand-bag the Rapha Roller Race
Is roller racing the next big thing in competitive pedalling?
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.