[ locale string ]
The Rapha Forecast
Alfred Wainwright, the man who coined the adage about there not being such a thing as crap weather and only bad equipment, was obviously more impervious to the rain and grey skies of England than his wax jacket. Summer 2012 in the UK has been emphatically grim so far, especially if you have been riding in sunnier places this year. The feeling of being short changed by the weather gods continues to reign on high (or low if you have any interest in the Jet Stream). C'est la vie. Never-mind. Whatever the weather, Rapha have the gear for you. Here's a quick guide to the clothing you need to ride through any winter, summer or apocalyptic precipitation.
ADELAIDE - Mid Winter
Temperatures drop from 40 degrees during the Tour Down Under to 0 degrees during winter. There is always heavy fog during early mornings in the Adelaide hills then clearing to crisp sunny days.
Here is the perfect remedy:
PORTLAND - Sunny and Sweet
Perhaps the Independence Day fireworks trigger some Pacific Northwest upper atmospheric change because it's not until the Fourth of July weekend that summer arrives in Portland, Oregon. The change is immediate and somewhat abrupt as the temperature now broadly ranges from the low-50s to the high 80s over the course of just a few hours. Precipitation tends to take its summer vacation around this time although the experienced rider maintains a fendered road bike on call year-round. The reward of summer sun and all that spring rainwater is berries, berries everywhere. No adventurous summer ride is complete without a roadside berry-picking break.
— Country Jersey - Merino-blend fabric. Full zip. An effortless feel. Always chosen for the important rides of summer.
— Pro Team Socks - A new favorite. Tall socks have ruled the Portland roads (and cyclocross courses) for a number of years now. Guaranteed compliments at the coffee shop.
To see more products for summer conditions visit the Shop page »
LONDON - Eternal Grey
In the UK it can be bibs and jersey weather one minute, then another tick of the clock and a crack of thunder and you are pulling on rain jackets and knee warmers. At least we have the correct attire to keep us riding, even if the grey clouds overhead try and dissuade us.
— Rain Jacket - The jacket for when a ride in the rain is unavoidable. If you live in the UK or anywhere above the jet stream, you need one of these.
— Oversocks - If the rain keeps coming at least your feet can stay dry and warm without overheating. Plus you can pretend you are Belgian…
— Merino Kneewarmers - Although it raises feelings of melancholy that in July it's not really bib short weather, at least it gives you the excuse to pull on these beautifully comfy knee warmers. Another UK essential for a range of conditions.
Also choose: Merino Arm Warmers, Club Jersey, Merino Base Layer, Classic Bib Shorts, Etape Act I 2012 Cap
To see more products for autumn conditions visit the Shop page »
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc