We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Race to the Sun 1967
Looking ahead to March and the start of the season, Paris-Nice is a race that represents the transition from the off-season to the beginning of spring and the new racing calendar (and is also a tough test to see who has put the miles in during winter).
~1967, Paris-Nice and the Belgians were unhappy. The impertinent upstart Tom Simpson had joined a break, stealing 15 minutes from Eddie Merckx - their hero and the Englishman's team leader. Both men wore PEUGEOT-BP checks, but team colours had not diminished their rivalry.
An annual migration from the chill Parisian north to the warmer climes of the Côte d'Azur, 'The Race to the Sun' was the first important date in the calendar - the riders secretly dreaded it. Feeling flabby, with virtually no miles in their legs (other than from the ski-slopes), the nervousness was palpable.
Simpson took the race, after handing Merckx the stage. Days later, Simpson helped Merckx to victory in Milan-San Remo. The bond did not have time to flourish, and five months later Tom Simpson would attempt to climb Mt. Ventoux.
The above graphic and story features in Inside Stories, a booklet documenting 40 story labels featured within Rapha products.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC