We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Race to the Sun 1967
Looking ahead to March and the start of the season, Paris-Nice is a race that represents the transition from the off-season to the beginning of spring and the new racing calendar (and is also a tough test to see who has put the miles in during winter).
~1967, Paris-Nice and the Belgians were unhappy. The impertinent upstart Tom Simpson had joined a break, stealing 15 minutes from Eddie Merckx - their hero and the Englishman's team leader. Both men wore PEUGEOT-BP checks, but team colours had not diminished their rivalry.
An annual migration from the chill Parisian north to the warmer climes of the Côte d'Azur, 'The Race to the Sun' was the first important date in the calendar - the riders secretly dreaded it. Feeling flabby, with virtually no miles in their legs (other than from the ski-slopes), the nervousness was palpable.
Simpson took the race, after handing Merckx the stage. Days later, Simpson helped Merckx to victory in Milan-San Remo. The bond did not have time to flourish, and five months later Tom Simpson would attempt to climb Mt. Ventoux.
The above graphic and story features in Inside Stories, a booklet documenting 40 story labels featured within Rapha products.
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb