We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Old Lady
No, that's not a derogatory term for Bernard Hinault, although he did win La Doyenne twice. The 'Old Lady', Liège-Bastogne-Liège, is the oldest Classic in cycle racing and, presumably, when you've completed all 260km of this tough Monument, you probably feel like an elderly lady.
First held in 1894, the race takes place in the rolling, forested Ardennes region of southern Belgium, the same area where the Flèche Wallonne is ridden. Until recently Liège-Bastogne-Liège took place on the same weekend as the Flèche, which World Champ, Cadel Evans, rode past Contador to win on Wednesday.
Andy Schleck won it last year and the Saxo Bank rider will be keen to bag the top spot again. However, Contador will also be looking to make his mark after failing to poach victory on Wednesday. Oh and someone called Lance Armstrong is also reported to be racing on Sunday.
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…