We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Old Lady
No, that's not a derogatory term for Bernard Hinault, although he did win La Doyenne twice. The 'Old Lady', Liège-Bastogne-Liège, is the oldest Classic in cycle racing and, presumably, when you've completed all 260km of this tough Monument, you probably feel like an elderly lady.
First held in 1894, the race takes place in the rolling, forested Ardennes region of southern Belgium, the same area where the Flèche Wallonne is ridden. Until recently Liège-Bastogne-Liège took place on the same weekend as the Flèche, which World Champ, Cadel Evans, rode past Contador to win on Wednesday.
Andy Schleck won it last year and the Saxo Bank rider will be keen to bag the top spot again. However, Contador will also be looking to make his mark after failing to poach victory on Wednesday. Oh and someone called Lance Armstrong is also reported to be racing on Sunday.
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/TfWWoTG1ge
- RT @CondorWarehouse: @raphacondor JLT 2014 pedals will be @SpeedplayPedals Stainless White :-) http://t.co/S4oOK2gx8t
- RT @CondorWarehouse: A massive shout out to @SpeedplayPedals just received our pedals for @raphacondor JLT 2014 bikes. Thanks guys http://t…
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Darren Edwards who receives a Rapha Backpack. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- @vickiewoodsford @tobytoof @daithetooth @WhittleFit Thanks Vickie, very kind of you to say.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…