We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Merino Base Layer
Depending on which end of the Planet you reside, presently you will be gearing up for either winter or summer conditions. Excitement or despair… Whatever the weather, most riders will know the value of wearing a base layer. The Rapha Merino Base Layer helps to regulate body temperature and transfer moisture away from the skin on both scorching hot and freezing cold days. It is one of the most essential pieces of kit we produce, an unsung hero of the range, the unflinching domestique of the Rapha emporium. We thought it was time to celebrate merino and all the glorious comfort it provides.
Many cycling base layers are still made of sub-standard synthetic fabrics, they neither insulate nor wick as efficiently as the fine wool fibres of merino. Synthetic base layers also stink to high heaven. Merino (from a breed of sheep with the softest and finest wool) wicks your body’s moisture vapour extremely quickly and is naturally anti bacterial and thus resistant to odours. Merino is also beautifully comfortable to wear. It is, quite simply, the perfect all-natural material for baselayers, whether cycling, running or going to watch the game (see below).
New A/W 09 stock of base layers has now arrived.
'Base layers are incredibly important in winter to help regulate the body's temperature, but they also keep the body dry without it getting too hot. Rapha's base layer does this superbly, something that the mention of wool might normally have you doubting.'
'I love these things… and if it's a little cold, you can find me wearing it even as casual kit! I even wore one last night to the Man United game.. haha.' Kristian House - British National Road Race Champion 2009
- No change overall at the Ras today, Rich Handley remains in 5th, and Mike Cuming stills leads KOM
- RT @anpostras: Provisional GC after Stage 5: Bialoblocki, McConvey, Guldhammer <all @st, Handley & Pelletier-Roy @24secs, Fodor @46secs, Hu…
- RT @anpostras: Mike Cuming (Rapha Condor JLT) Will wear Mountains Jersey again, after Stage 5 #Ras2013
- RT @NickLathamPhoto: @raphacondor Photos of Kristian House winning Durham stage in a blog post at http://t.co/wHX8d0mlQc #tourseries Pls R…
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX