We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Merino Base Layer
Depending on which end of the Planet you reside, presently you will be gearing up for either winter or summer conditions. Excitement or despair… Whatever the weather, most riders will know the value of wearing a base layer. The Rapha Merino Base Layer helps to regulate body temperature and transfer moisture away from the skin on both scorching hot and freezing cold days. It is one of the most essential pieces of kit we produce, an unsung hero of the range, the unflinching domestique of the Rapha emporium. We thought it was time to celebrate merino and all the glorious comfort it provides.
Many cycling base layers are still made of sub-standard synthetic fabrics, they neither insulate nor wick as efficiently as the fine wool fibres of merino. Synthetic base layers also stink to high heaven. Merino (from a breed of sheep with the softest and finest wool) wicks your body’s moisture vapour extremely quickly and is naturally anti bacterial and thus resistant to odours. Merino is also beautifully comfortable to wear. It is, quite simply, the perfect all-natural material for baselayers, whether cycling, running or going to watch the game (see below).
New A/W 09 stock of base layers has now arrived.
'Base layers are incredibly important in winter to help regulate the body's temperature, but they also keep the body dry without it getting too hot. Rapha's base layer does this superbly, something that the mention of wool might normally have you doubting.'
'I love these things… and if it's a little cold, you can find me wearing it even as casual kit! I even wore one last night to the Man United game.. haha.' Kristian House - British National Road Race Champion 2009
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG