We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Look of La Vie Claire
Inspired by the compositions of De Stijl artist Piet Mondriaan, the panels of blue, red, yellow and grey, broken up by black grid lines make for one of the most distinctive team kits ever seen in the peloton. The original jersey was designed by Italian clothing brand Benetton, which is perhaps why, amongst the sea of brand names and bright colours, this design stands out. La Vie Claire was also one of the first teams to use synthetic fibres in their kit.
The team was created in 1984 by Bernard Hinault, Bernard Tapie and Paul Koechli and recruited Greg LeMond with a record-breaking one million dollar contract. They also signed another young American, Andy Hampsten. In 1985 Hinault won the Tour and LeMond rode to victory in ’86, Hampsten won the maillot blanc in the same year and finished fourth overall.
In 1988 La Vie Claire departed as the team’s main sponsor. Various sponsorship partners featured on the jersey including French company Look who, in 1989, provided the team with state-of-the-art carbon frames and forks. Look were also the inventor of clipless pedals, which the team sported. The squad additionally began using heart rate monitors, another new-school element of a modern team that helped pace the sport into a new era.
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0