We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Look of La Vie Claire
Inspired by the compositions of De Stijl artist Piet Mondriaan, the panels of blue, red, yellow and grey, broken up by black grid lines make for one of the most distinctive team kits ever seen in the peloton. The original jersey was designed by Italian clothing brand Benetton, which is perhaps why, amongst the sea of brand names and bright colours, this design stands out. La Vie Claire was also one of the first teams to use synthetic fibres in their kit.
The team was created in 1984 by Bernard Hinault, Bernard Tapie and Paul Koechli and recruited Greg LeMond with a record-breaking one million dollar contract. They also signed another young American, Andy Hampsten. In 1985 Hinault won the Tour and LeMond rode to victory in ’86, Hampsten won the maillot blanc in the same year and finished fourth overall.
In 1988 La Vie Claire departed as the team’s main sponsor. Various sponsorship partners featured on the jersey including French company Look who, in 1989, provided the team with state-of-the-art carbon frames and forks. Look were also the inventor of clipless pedals, which the team sported. The squad additionally began using heart rate monitors, another new-school element of a modern team that helped pace the sport into a new era.
- @tribryan Hi Bryan, that’s a discontinued Irish Country Jersey which is no longer in production, sorry to disappoint.
- @vickiewoodsford @richardhier @daithetooth Thanks Vickie, glad we were able to help too.
- @ServiceCourse @richardhier @daithetooth You’re all too kind, thank you.
- @richardhier Thanks Richard, have a good weekend. Will pass on your thanks to Peter.
- Stylish, creative, sharp? We all know a sartorial city rider that can be tricky to buy for. See our guide for hints → http://t.co/dul9phwMoX
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.