We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Great Escape
As London descended into chaotic scenes this week, perpetrated by those lacking sense and reason or, presumably, the ability to get out on a road bike, I was reminded that (Armageddon pending) I hadn’t much time left to ride.
With a few weeks of solid summer left anyway, the opportunity to get out in a jersey (my new Pro Team - really people, it’s fantastic and WILL make you ride faster), Classic Bibs (I haven’t made the leap to Pro Team shorts yet) crisp Rapha Cap (all black) and white socks, is taken with relish, even if it still remains overcast. Forget the looters, the vigilantes and the politicians trying to find answers, I’m off on my bike.
Today I’m Louison Bobet, tomorrow, perhaps, Charly Gaul. Whatever the case, I’m certainly no Travis Bickle or hooded-droog. My monochrome garments make me feel like I’m straight out of the L’Equipe archive, riding past fields of sunflowers, climbing the Tourmalet, taking a sprint victory in… Enfield.
Away from the city walls, along the glass-covered roads of east London, past burned-out cars and into the tranquil lanes of Essex and Hertfordshire, where I can act out stages from the golden years and feel blessed that I’m a road-cyclist. Indeed, our mileage-machine, Ultan Coyle, decided to take a gentle 400km spin out of London on Monday night. Riding through Croydon he saw a mob of several hundred looking to set buildings ablaze and destroy an already neglected suburb of the big smokey. Like anyone, Ultan “buried it”. Rather than attack your local high street, take it out on your legs and escape this madness.
- @CanyonUK Everyone loves a hug, thanks.
- @CanyonUK Do we win a prize?
- @c4shr Hello Kash, we're very sorry about that. We'll be in touch shortly to sort things out.
- RT @Strava: Are you ready for the @rapharacing #Festive500? we're challenging riders to clock 500 km between Christmas and NYE. http://t.co…
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…