We are showing you the Norwegian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Great Escape
As London descended into chaotic scenes this week, perpetrated by those lacking sense and reason or, presumably, the ability to get out on a road bike, I was reminded that (Armageddon pending) I hadn’t much time left to ride.
With a few weeks of solid summer left anyway, the opportunity to get out in a jersey (my new Pro Team - really people, it’s fantastic and WILL make you ride faster), Classic Bibs (I haven’t made the leap to Pro Team shorts yet) crisp Rapha Cap (all black) and white socks, is taken with relish, even if it still remains overcast. Forget the looters, the vigilantes and the politicians trying to find answers, I’m off on my bike.
Today I’m Louison Bobet, tomorrow, perhaps, Charly Gaul. Whatever the case, I’m certainly no Travis Bickle or hooded-droog. My monochrome garments make me feel like I’m straight out of the L’Equipe archive, riding past fields of sunflowers, climbing the Tourmalet, taking a sprint victory in… Enfield.
Away from the city walls, along the glass-covered roads of east London, past burned-out cars and into the tranquil lanes of Essex and Hertfordshire, where I can act out stages from the golden years and feel blessed that I’m a road-cyclist. Indeed, our mileage-machine, Ultan Coyle, decided to take a gentle 400km spin out of London on Monday night. Riding through Croydon he saw a mob of several hundred looking to set buildings ablaze and destroy an already neglected suburb of the big smokey. Like anyone, Ultan “buried it”. Rather than attack your local high street, take it out on your legs and escape this madness.
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries
- 2 be clear that was @johnherety decision to not let @AaronBuggle start. Tour of Korea and Irish National Champs will be his next rendezvous
- Happy to report @AaronBuggle is as good looking as ever after 13 stitches in his chin. Sorry to report not letting him start tomorrow though
- @flammecast @AaronBuggle His Shrone is fine !!!
- Big thanks to all marshals,coms and medical staff on the @anpostras today. Great work despite the numerous demands on their services today.
- Just to let all his girl fans know @AaronBuggle is ok. He's in hospital and will need some surgery on a cut to his chin. Will update later.
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling