We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Cycle Club NYC
photos by James Nord
Simon Mottram, our founder, was in town for the opening of the Rapha Cycle Club New York City. Aside from being on hand to rub elbows and see the wonderful city of New York, he took a moment to brief the staff on what it was that brought him to this sport and inspired him to launch this brand. One word — 'emporium'. In fact, it was a word that had come up more than once while in the city that never sleeps — with the press, with the people entering the shop from the streets — emporium.
The word itself brings to mind 'general stores' from the early days, or the trading posts of the Gold Rush era, filled with everything prospectors needed to survive — a place that housed all their goods, those related to the gold prospect and those that related to the everyday life of the wild wild west.
The same can be said for the modern cycling emporium, the Cycle Club, but the key difference here being that these places can be not only a shopping experience — check out what's to come in this Autumn Winter 2013 Preview — but an arena where the discussion of all things cycling is not only ok, but encouraged. Throughout the brief days that the New York City Cycle Club was open there was more than enough cycling talk.
Q: Who will win the World Championships this weekend? Will the curse of the rainbow stripes be passed along as they had been this year? Or will it finally be broken?
A: Either way, the race will be screened live this weekend.
From there the talk moved toward the weekend's riding. Some groups were split between the racing in Brooklyn's Prospect Park and the Rapha Cycle Club's first group ride. There were also those that, needing the extra boost to the ol' fitness, chose to do both. And that is the life of the New York Cyclist, the battle between car and rider and traffic and timing. It is a trick to get it right and make all of these things line up. When they do, it is sweet.
Regular Rides: Saturdays - Meet at 8:30 am for coffee - roll out at 9am. Rides may vary.
Then there was the riding through the city. What to wear? Where to go?
Everywhere you turn is another person on a bike. They might be delivering Chinese food and traveling the wrong way down the bike lane, but they are there. Ladies in dresses navigating their way to work next to the usual racer types - everyone seemingly no where and everywhere to go at the same time.
Relatively new to this town — their chunky blue frames and blinking generator headlights can be seen at all hours pushing their way through traffic. Their kiosks as well, every time you turn a corner they are staring you down, daring you to take them out on a short date. One person said in passing that "every single CitiBike is used an average of seven times a day." Another mentioned how they were better for nights out drinking than cabs "more affordable and they help ward off the dreaded hangover." Not that you should ride them while drinking, but it has happened in New York City.
If you have been hoping to try out the CitiBikes, now is your chance. We have 50 CitiBike free ride cards that we will be giving away throughout the weekend. All you have to do is stop by and politely request one from the front counter. Maybe say hi to Derrick Lewis and Mike Spriggs while you are in.
It is our hope that you will stop in and enjoy the Rapha Cycle Club New York City. There will be racing on the big screen (and the small screen, check out the 80's era television that is rigged up to play the '86 tour on loop) and La Colombe coffee to enjoy. Chances are, you might meet one or two that are interested in talking about bicycles almost as much as you are.
The Rapha Cycle Club New York City - located at 64 Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District is now open for business. Monday - Saturday 7am - 8pm Sunday 7am - 6pm. Rides every Saturday 9am unless otherwise noted. Follow the @RaphaCycleClub's on Twitter and Instagram.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…
- The #oneoftheseplease wk 3 includes some outdoor products from the likes of @polerstuff - Kletterwerks - and Filson: http://t.co/SG3aSEcjxN
- 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http://t.co/11e5ZxOdoC