We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Conquered Giant
Congratulations to all those riders who participated in this year’s Etape du Tour. The roads and mountains of Provence provided for a spectacular 170km ride on Monday 20th July, with a climax on the gruelling slopes of Mt. Ventoux. Five of us from Rapha took part, some faster than others. Highlights included the beautiful climb up the Col d'Ey with stunning Provencal scenery, the speedy descent into Bedoin and the delicieux gateaux they provided at the feed stations. We are now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the pros on Ventoux for the penultimate stage of The Tour on Saturday. Let us know your thoughts on the Etape 2009.
See the profile of the route here.
The ‘Giant of Provence’ is a place of joy and despair, a legendary climb ridden and eulogised by cyclists and writers alike.
“There will always come that moment as you close with Ventoux, when you see the dominant, leprous, windswept summit of the Giant of Provence sprouting that sinister radio mast, thrust up out of the surrounding landscape, and shiver. Ride up there? You say to yourself.”
Graeme Fife, forthcoming book 'Great Road Climbs Vol. 2' published by Rapha
“The Ventoux has no in-itself. It’s the greatest revelation of your-self. It simply feeds back your fatigue and fear. It has total knowledge of the shape you’re in, your capacity for cycling happiness, and for happiness in general. It’s yourself you’re climbing. If you don’t want to know, stay at the bottom.”
From 'Need for the Bike' by Paul Fournel, published by University of Nebraska Press
“And then you’re at the summit. You look out over the land; you drink a bit; a ruddy sense of well-being courses through your whole body, and a great desire wells up in you to climb this mountain again some day.”
From 'The Rider' by Tim Krabbe, published by Bloomsbury
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB
- Tejay on the front of the 17 man break that includes more than a few heavies. http://t.co/hJmdvUHLeS