We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Conquered Giant
Congratulations to all those riders who participated in this year’s Etape du Tour. The roads and mountains of Provence provided for a spectacular 170km ride on Monday 20th July, with a climax on the gruelling slopes of Mt. Ventoux. Five of us from Rapha took part, some faster than others. Highlights included the beautiful climb up the Col d'Ey with stunning Provencal scenery, the speedy descent into Bedoin and the delicieux gateaux they provided at the feed stations. We are now eagerly awaiting the arrival of the pros on Ventoux for the penultimate stage of The Tour on Saturday. Let us know your thoughts on the Etape 2009.
See the profile of the route here.
The ‘Giant of Provence’ is a place of joy and despair, a legendary climb ridden and eulogised by cyclists and writers alike.
“There will always come that moment as you close with Ventoux, when you see the dominant, leprous, windswept summit of the Giant of Provence sprouting that sinister radio mast, thrust up out of the surrounding landscape, and shiver. Ride up there? You say to yourself.”
Graeme Fife, forthcoming book 'Great Road Climbs Vol. 2' published by Rapha
“The Ventoux has no in-itself. It’s the greatest revelation of your-self. It simply feeds back your fatigue and fear. It has total knowledge of the shape you’re in, your capacity for cycling happiness, and for happiness in general. It’s yourself you’re climbing. If you don’t want to know, stay at the bottom.”
From 'Need for the Bike' by Paul Fournel, published by University of Nebraska Press
“And then you’re at the summit. You look out over the land; you drink a bit; a ruddy sense of well-being courses through your whole body, and a great desire wells up in you to climb this mountain again some day.”
From 'The Rider' by Tim Krabbe, published by Bloomsbury
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb