We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
The Classic Softshell Jacket
Test Rapha's Classic Softshell Jacket today with a no quibble 30-day free returns offer. We are confident you will be completely satisfied by the unrivalled performance and style it offers.
Rapha’s Classic Softshell Jacket arrived in this world in 2005. Then it was simply the ‘Softshell Jacket’. Before this, many prototypes were tested (and detested) including something called the ‘Eddy Jacket’, named after everyone’s favourite Belgian cannibal. Jump ahead to the start of the Autumn Winter season 2009/10 and now the jacket rightfully resides upon its throne as a classic. Biased opinion aside, this is a piece of immaculate design.
'A thing of beauty' - The Times
Several evolutions have taken place: The 2007 version had two protective shoulder pads (reminiscent of a donkey jacket), taking into consideration that riders use both shoulders to carry their bag of choice. We soon realised this was over-egging functionality and jeopardising form and that the one shoulder pad was how it should remain, an iconic and practical detail. We have had pink linings, grey linings, light grippers, three, four and five pocket configurations and various weights of fabric. But now, it appears, we have struck the ultimate balance of fabric, cut and features. Not only this but the 2009/10 Classic Softshell now comes in a red colourway. For those who found the only reason not to own the ultimate road jacket (the fact that it was black and not as visible as the more dizzying fluorescent hues available) there is now no excuse not to invest.
'The best road jacket money can buy' - Cycling Plus
The Classic Softshell Jacket is not only the perfect outershell for winter riding or even milder spins through the autumn leaves and spring sunshine, it can also function as an ideal jacket for commuting, skiing (?) and even down to the bar or restaurant. Whilst it is packed with technical features it does not scream this to others as you wear it. Many other jackets look technical and complicated without actually offering that much practicality. The minimal and understated aesthetic design of the Softshell Jacket disguises the functionality of the thing.
There are over 20 recognisable features and elements to the jacket. However, the main aspect that I find (and even now I am always impressed after each ride) is the breathability. How can a jacket keep you warm and dry but allow your body to breathe like that? Coupled with the ergonomic tailoring that makes the jacket comfortable in any position, on or off the bike, you can’t go wrong with the Classic Softshell. Whether you wear it simply with a baselayer and/or jersey, or even a Winter Jersey on those really cold days, temperature always seems to stay regulated. It is almost like the jacket has your internal thermometer on speed-dial.
'No other bit of kit has done 5 hours training in the snow and a trip to the pub in the same week, which I think speaks volumes about it's form and function. Still warm and comfy even when snot has frozen onto the shoulder.' - Simon Richardson - Ras Tour of Ireland winner 2009
I took the new red version for a spin today and I almost can’t wait for the temperature to drop so I have no excuse not to wear it everyday, whether riding through the Essex lanes or reading the paper outside my local café. Every cyclist should own one.
- RT @mike_cuming: good luck to the fellas @Porterelliott @willstephenson and @edlaverack in the U23 TT today...
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...