We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Thank You Rockies
Photos by Dan Sharp
Words by Joe Staples and Carey SH
Where to start?
We could talk about how we rode 55miles of gravel when none were on the route. We could talk about how the day was supposed to be 84 miles but turned out to be 104. In all honesty, for this to be anything but a "thank you" to the locals we met and chatted with, who directed us, would be to overlook the amazing gifts they gave.
It started the other night when John, a local rider invited us to his house for dinner in Durango, CO. Ben had met him on a ride in Los Angeles and promised we would all meet up. His friends told us about roads, GRAVEL roads that could take us to Pagosa Springs our designation city for stage 5 of Ride the Rockies. We remembered the road names.
To John and his friends, Thank You.
The morning of stage 5, Durango to Pagosa Springs, Rob, the owner of Bread a local bakery made us an amazing breakfast; told us 30 stories in 30 mins and introduced us to a 65 year old who raced 6-day races in Belgium.
And, if the day couldn't get better, 60 miles into our ride, on a 45 mile section of our gifted new amazing gravel route, under scorching sun we were passed by the first vehicle we had seen in 20 minutes. The driver's name was Joe Chavez. At that point, none of us knew him but because Carey said hello and grabbed onto his truck while we were rolling, that all changed. 15 minutes later we were sitting on the porch of his log cabin, playing with Rocco his dog, drinking cold Pepsi's. We were listening to stories about the local Elk and watching fellow Continental riders cool off in his freezing river.
To Joe Chavez, Thank You.
This week has been a journey, and it is not over yet. If we have learned anything in these 6 days it is that when locals talk, you should listen.
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.