We are showing you the Canadian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Ten x Ten Challenge: Day 2. Swains Lane of Pain Challenge
Swains Lane in Highgate, North London is a narrow road running between the grounds of Highgate Cemetery, the Victorian burial site where Karl Marx rests. It’s not a long climb (840 metres) but is certainly one of the steepest gradients (about 15%) you can find in the capital. Its location beside this Gothic cemetery with its railed walls, creeping ivy and crumbling tombs and the twisting, narrow ascent makes Swains Lane somewhat eerie. This voluptuous and leafy part of London is also rather affluent so, whilst you attempt repeats up Swains Lane, Highgate West Hill or Hillway (known at Rapha as the ‘Faffenberg’), you will see locals roaring past in big black Range Rovers or trying to keep their yapping Chihuahuas on a leash as they carry organic foodstuffs home for brunch. Today myself and Ben Brown successfully did ten repeats of the bugger in just under 45 mins, perhaps not unprecedented but no walk in the park (or cemetery).
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries