We are showing you the Australian version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
TDU: Stage Two
Photos: Wade Wallace
Plenty of familiar faces and some fresh ones for ride number two. One rider even joined us from Japan and plans to get his passport stamped on every stage this week. We began with a climb up Greenhill Road, one of Adelaide's most renowned ascents, and then on to Mt. Lofty. Heavy mist rolled in and within minutes the temperature had dropped from 30C to 15C. Fortunately, it wasn’t long before the sun broke through and as we descended through Stirling en route to Mylor, conditions heated up again.
Arriving at Mylor, the group congregated for coffee and baguettes before watching the race loop its way three times through this beautiful country town. Thousands of fans lined the narrow roads to cheer on a solo break by Australia's Will Clarke. A short ride back to Stirling for the hilltop finish saw the crowds rewarded with an Aussie one-two-three, with Clarke holding off the chase all the way to the line. He was followed home by Michael ‘Bling’ Matthews and Simon ‘Gerro’ Gerrans, who took second and third respectively on a day that saw eight Australian riders finish in the top 20.
The highlight of the day was the breathtaking view as we rolled through Allgate Road, one of the most beautiful roads you will ever ride. It was one of several memorable moments on this ride, along with meeting an Imperial Storm Trooper walking across Australia for charity. Oh yes, and riding home with the Liquigas team after the race.
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.
- RT @nedboulting: Kristian House's Grandad was a fantastic man. He told me about him once. Then I read this: http://t.co/ZCeYbm4sFU
- @DeanHardman @nedboulting @j_t_locke such a shame...
- @TeamSkyGirl @nedboulting @j_t_locke we've asked JTL to change his name.
- RT @Ed_Clancy: Watch @raphacondor team mate Kristian House take another win (and lap me in the process) around his favourite circuit to…
- RT @TourSeries: Catch-up with all of the #Durham #tourseries action on ITV4 tonight http://t.co/YE9zgNaZem
- Some helpful #womens100 tips from Australian pro @tiffanycromwell that you might find useful over on @gcntweet → http://t.co/ZqgODQ6Tz3
- New Media, New Myths: @TrueBS writes for our blog about the building of legends at the @AmgenTourofCali → http://t.co/SEEBqxorZh #AToC
- Starting this Sunday, the Irish tour @anpostras is being raced by @raphacondor JLT and our very own Ultan Coyle. → http://t.co/gJmiGGr2zy
- Atoc photographers come in all shapes and sizes. Like this one @johnprolly. #atoc http://t.co/yWV0121rRB