We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
TDU: Stage Two
Photos: Wade Wallace
Plenty of familiar faces and some fresh ones for ride number two. One rider even joined us from Japan and plans to get his passport stamped on every stage this week. We began with a climb up Greenhill Road, one of Adelaide's most renowned ascents, and then on to Mt. Lofty. Heavy mist rolled in and within minutes the temperature had dropped from 30C to 15C. Fortunately, it wasn’t long before the sun broke through and as we descended through Stirling en route to Mylor, conditions heated up again.
Arriving at Mylor, the group congregated for coffee and baguettes before watching the race loop its way three times through this beautiful country town. Thousands of fans lined the narrow roads to cheer on a solo break by Australia's Will Clarke. A short ride back to Stirling for the hilltop finish saw the crowds rewarded with an Aussie one-two-three, with Clarke holding off the chase all the way to the line. He was followed home by Michael ‘Bling’ Matthews and Simon ‘Gerro’ Gerrans, who took second and third respectively on a day that saw eight Australian riders finish in the top 20.
The highlight of the day was the breathtaking view as we rolled through Allgate Road, one of the most beautiful roads you will ever ride. It was one of several memorable moments on this ride, along with meeting an Imperial Storm Trooper walking across Australia for charity. Oh yes, and riding home with the Liquigas team after the race.
- @daithetooth Thank you Dai.
- @rich_mitch @RaphaCycleClub You're welcome.
- @rich_mitch Hey Rich, you're probably best to head to our @RaphaCycleClub in London to try them on with advice some our knowledgable staff.
- RT @rapha_australia: The first #alpedquiz question has been asked. "FAUSTO COPPI WAS THE FIRST MAN TO DO WHAT?" Answer at http://t.co/EnOFN…
- RT @rapha_n_america: Up Close: The Rapha x Raeburn Fall-Winter Collection via @selectism :: http://t.co/O27Eo9pQGK
- What do you get the cyclist who has everything? Here's what we recommend for the dandy in your life. → http://t.co/ciPREr3fnP
- RT @racefietsblog: Leuk, de Alpe d' Quiz van @RaphaRacing is begonnen! 3 weken elke dag een andere prijs http://t.co/QiWhfY8hXy @rapha_euro…
- The @rapharacing #festive500 is back. Once again we challenge riders worldwide to clock 500km between 24-31 Dec. → http://t.co/HmgDlUJTiI
- RT @RaphaCycleClub: NYC: Analog to digital conversion. #oneoftheseplease #Festive500 http://t.co/f2rQd3Lv6g
- RT @roadcc: Rapha Alpe d’Quiz starts today with prizes to be won @rapharacing #cycling | road.cc http://t.co/tTdEEWjf8k