We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
TDU: Stage One
Yesterday saw a huge turn out for stage one of Rapha's Tour Down Under Passport Rides. More than 60 riders of all ages, from across Australia and New Zealand, rolled out for a day's riding in temperatures forecast to reach 40C.
We started the morning catching up at Red Berry Espresso, before heading up towards Norton Summit. It was a quick ride to the top, with riders keen to flex their muscles in the stifling heat before settling into a steady tempo.
After 1,000m of climbing through Adelaide Hills we wound our way down to the CBD, through the scenery of Gorge Road to catch the start of the Tour Down Under first Stage proper. Andre Greipel, Lotto's gorilla of a sprinter, took the stage win from Lampre’s Alessandro Petacchi in a photo finish. Two from two for Greipel, a rider showing some early season form.
If you couldn't make it, we hope to see you over the next few stages so we can issue you with your very own Rapha Passport. All welcome.
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!