We are showing you the UK version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Rapha Cycle Club Sydney Rides
Words and images by Mr. B McBeard
Rides start from the Rapha Cycle Club on Crown Street in Surry Hills, Sydney at 6am on a Wednesday. Plenty of people arrive early to enjoy a quick coffee at the Club before we head off. The normal ride is down to the edge of Botany Bay and back via Maroubra Beach. Last week, there was also an option of a Mystery Hills Ride.
So off we went on the mystery route, dodging potholes and speed bumps down to Rushcutters Bay, on the edge of Sydney Harbour. The route then wound its way through the Eastern suburbs seeking out every pinch climb on offer.
Things got really interesting when we hit the beaches, the bunch suddenly hopping the curb on to a winding little track through a park. The riders ducked and weaved between branches and early morning joggers. After emerging unscathed, we road up past Bronte Beach through a road cut into the sandstone.
Then we turned back towards the city, a smooth, snaking descent beneath giant fig trees bringing the bunch to the edge of Centennial Park. Back on familiar roads, the riders slipped into a well-drilled rhythm, chatting away like old friends. Pulling up at the Cycle Club, coffees were gratefully consumed and gradually people rolled off in their different directions to get ready for the working hours. The perfect start to another beautiful day.
Join us sometime.
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…