[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sydney CC Opening Night
Words by Danny Barnes
Photos by Stephanie Simcox
Saturday 29th June is an auspicious date in the Rapha calendar. On the anniversary of the day Rapha launched at the start of the Tour of 2004, the Rapha Cycle Club Sydney officially opened its doors for the first time in 2013. The day started with a transfer ride (ferry assisted), leaving the Cycle Club after pastries and coffee in the salubrious suburb of the Surry Hills. The weather was akin to an Indian monsoon but spirits were high as the bunch rode north across the bridge towards the northern beaches. After a complete soaking and a quick fuel stop at West Head, the pack headed back downhill through the clouds to Manly and the warmth of the ferry back to the city. Despite the weather, the ride was truly memorable and a great day.
The doors re-opened in the evening for the official launch party where Gallic-inspired cuisine was served with each dish representing all of the regions the Tour will visit this July. A French duo playing double bass and guitar provided the soundtrack as food and drink was enjoyed by a packed house with about 200 people stopping by. Then the summer’s biggest race started at 10pm and we rolled out into the night air to watch the first stage on the big screen. Alongside admiring the beautiful helicopter shots of Corsica, the crowd had a good laugh at the sight of the GreenEdge bus stuck under the finish line banner… Vive Le Cycle Club! See you there.
Located in the heart of Surry Hills the Rapha Cycle Club Sydney is the first permanent location in Australia. Serving the finest coffee, food and screening the worlds greatest races the Club is open from pre dawn for the first shot of espresso through to late evening.
Rapha Cycle Club Sydney
4,410 Crown Street
Phone: (02) 9380 9717
Monday to Friday – 6am to 9pm
Saturday – 8am to 9pm
Sunday – 8am to 6pm
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O