We are showing you the European version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Sydney CC Opening Night
Words by Danny Barnes
Photos by Stephanie Simcox
Saturday 29th June is an auspicious date in the Rapha calendar. On the anniversary of the day Rapha launched at the start of the Tour of 2004, the Rapha Cycle Club Sydney officially opened its doors for the first time in 2013. The day started with a transfer ride (ferry assisted), leaving the Cycle Club after pastries and coffee in the salubrious suburb of the Surry Hills. The weather was akin to an Indian monsoon but spirits were high as the bunch rode north across the bridge towards the northern beaches. After a complete soaking and a quick fuel stop at West Head, the pack headed back downhill through the clouds to Manly and the warmth of the ferry back to the city. Despite the weather, the ride was truly memorable and a great day.
The doors re-opened in the evening for the official launch party where Gallic-inspired cuisine was served with each dish representing all of the regions the Tour will visit this July. A French duo playing double bass and guitar provided the soundtrack as food and drink was enjoyed by a packed house with about 200 people stopping by. Then the summer’s biggest race started at 10pm and we rolled out into the night air to watch the first stage on the big screen. Alongside admiring the beautiful helicopter shots of Corsica, the crowd had a good laugh at the sight of the GreenEdge bus stuck under the finish line banner… Vive Le Cycle Club! See you there.
Located in the heart of Surry Hills the Rapha Cycle Club Sydney is the first permanent location in Australia. Serving the finest coffee, food and screening the worlds greatest races the Club is open from pre dawn for the first shot of espresso through to late evening.
Rapha Cycle Club Sydney
4,410 Crown Street
Phone: (02) 9380 9717
Monday to Friday – 6am to 9pm
Saturday – 8am to 9pm
Sunday – 8am to 6pm
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX