We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Super Cross Up North
The Rapha Super Cross Series 2011 kicks off this coming Saturday, 15th October. The cream of British cross racing talent will be competing at Windermere in the English Lake District, one of the more beautiful natural landscapes the UK has to offer and a fitting venue for this exciting new event. The series continues with a short portage across the Pennines for the following day’s race in Huddersfield in West Yorkshire. Part two of the three-day series will be held on the edge of this historic town. Close to the Pennine Moors, it will provide another scenic backdrop to the action.
Many refer to this famous British landmark as Lake Windermere. In fact, a ‘mere’ is another term for a lake so many use the prefix ‘Lake’ to differentiate between the body of water and the town of Windermere itself.
The Windermere course winds around the impressive Victorian country house of Brockhole. It’s a compact circuit where spectators are never far from the action. The Rapha Mobile Cycle Club will be stationed at the start and finish area close to the Windermere shoreline, providing a fantastic 360-degree view.
The course, like any good circuit, has a little bit of everything. Off-road legend and course designer Nick Craig explains:
“It’s got the makings of a classic, with twists, turns and some surprising challenges you’d usually find on more traditional cyclocross courses. Three little climbs and right on the edge of Windermere, this is one not to miss.”
The Windermere event will have the pleasure of welcoming Barry Davies as a guest. A UK cross pro between 1968 and 1982, Barry rode in five World Championships, finishing a best-placed 13th in 1974. Barry is believed to have won more than 140 of his 400 cross races and of the Rapha Super Cross Series Barry recently commented: “I have to congratulate you on the series, it’s what cyclocross needs in the UK.”
Held in the grounds of Huddersfield New College, spectators will be treated to commanding views of the surrounding countryside across to Castle Hill and Emley Moor. Expect it to be a bit windswept with big skies – Yorkshire at its best.
The course is largely fast grassland, with a section of wooded singletrack and one or two giant bankings. Special guest here will be Brian Robinson, pioneer of British road racing and a more than handy cross racer in his time. The race will also feature a traditional brass band, the Marsden Band ‘Ole, based at a nearby Marsden Working Mens club. As they say in these parts: It'll be reet.
Race guests Brian Robinson and Barry Davies
RAPHA SUPER CROSS ELITE TEAM LINE UP
(Eight teams of five riders - field of 40)
• Hope Factory racing
• Charge Bikes
• Hargroves Cycles-Specialized-Trant-Next
• Rapha/GB Development
• Sigma Sport-Specialized
• Scott UK
• Team Wiggle
Windemere – Wheelbase Cycles-Cannondale
London – Vicious Velo
Don't forget the climax of the series on the 23rd of October at Alexandra Palace in London. Details here »
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.
- @brettrothmeyer nice cap drawing by the way!
- @Jack_Sadler @raphacondor We’re honoured to have you riding for us Jack.
- RT @dean0downing: I had 6 great seasons with the @raphacondor team, thanks to all at @rapharacing for the support through out. http://t.co/…
- @dean0downing @raphacondor Thank you Dean, it’s been an incredible journey.
- Eeny meeny miny moe. Aka Sean, Freddy, Roger and Francesco. If like me you can't decide which one of… http://t.co/o5b8KuTdCX
- Buying for the obsessive cyclist can be an impossible task. The kit has to be right, but what do you choose? → http://t.co/78RaFQ810G
- RT @raphacondor: 2014 will be the last year that Rapha will be part of @raphacondor JLT, concluding 9 fantastic years as co-owners. → http:…
- RT @rapha_australia: It's time for #alpedquiz question two. "WHERE DID RICHIE PORTE FINISH ON STAGE 18 OF THE 2013 TOUR?" Answer at http://…