[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Super Cross 2012: Round One
Photos: Wig Worland
Defending champions and local boys Hope, based in nearby Barnoldswick, carried on where they left off last year with a convincing win in the opening round of Rapha Super Cross held in the majestic surroundings of Broughton Hall, Skipton.
A large and enthusiastic Yorkshire crowd cheered on over 400 competitors, with races ranging from the under 10’s through to the elites, followed by a ‘fun race’ featuring a tequila shortcut and devilishly slippery wall of foam.
The elite race proved to be a close fought battle, with Hope, Hargroves and the Rapha/GB Development squad all having two riders in the top seven places.
But it was the third counting man that made the difference for the winners, with Hope’s Dave Collins securing 12th spot to finish ahead of Hargroves, then Rapha.
Dirtwheels Cycles, from nearby Otley, were awarded a special Showboating team prize, mainly based on the fantastic bunny hopping skills of Rob Watson, who kept the crowd entertained by clearing the planks every lap.
Rapha Super Cross moves to the East Midlands next Saturday (October 27th), with another full day of racing, tequila, foam, beer and crepes, at Misterton Hall, Lutterworth. Entries are still available at www.rapha.cc/super-cross.
The season grand finale is at Alexandra Palace, London, on Sunday October 28th and spectating at both events is absolutely free. Full results from all races at Broughton can be found at www.rapha.cc/super-cross-results
Team: Hope Factory Racing
1. Paul Oldham (Hope Factory Racing)
2. Jody Crawforth (Hargroves-Specialized)
3. Steve James (Hargroves-Specialized)
4. Adam Martin (Rapha/GB Development)
5. Rob Jebb (Hope Factory Racing)
6. Hugo Robinson (Rapha/GB Development)
7. Ben Sumner (Rapha/GB Development)
8. Ian Wilkinson (Endura Racing)
9. Dieter Droger (Dirtwheels Cycles)
10. Will Bergfelt ((Cycle Premier-Kovert
Under 23: Steve James (Hargroves-Specialized)
Showboating Team of the Day: Dirtwheels Cycles
- Who's excited for snowy racing #inbend this weekend? We brought tshirts and coffee for the weekend.… http://t.co/aYYPjQEXTG
- @playa_mansa Sorry, somehow missed this. Our backpack is great for general use. Most of us here use it both on and off the bike.
- @TheRaceRadio A man experienced in sheep aerodynamics, perhaps. → http://t.co/4ysrDy5bie
- The most recent Rapha Gentlemen’s Race took place in Adelaide with 18 teams lining up for the rolling 160km route. → http://t.co/ZQ3Dzz0NEX
- @andersmagnus Hi Anders, there’s been a delay unfortunately, but thanks for being patient. It will be out as soon as possible.
- We're proud to present one of our favourite films this year, so put some headphones on and enjoy. View the film → http://t.co/B2BXnE3JuY
- Congratulations to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Khamarul Rejab who receives a Team Sky bundle. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @chrishoy: Ok, I'm going to make the call now, and it's a big call, but I reckon @Ed_Clancy will break the World kilo record at the end …
- @Barry8012 @RaphaCycleClub You’re most welcome Simon, thanks for your feedback.
- @antmccrossan Thanks Anthony.