[ locale string ]
We are showing you the Taiwanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Super Cross 2011 Finale: Hope and Glory
Photography by Wig Worland
Just one point separated the top two teams in the final round of the Rapha Super Cross at Alexandra Palace but Hope Technology clung on for the overall victory from final round winners Scott UK.
In the third and final sun-soaked day of action, Hope team captain and National Champion Paul Oldham led by example, crossing the line first ahead of Hargroves’ Jody Crawforth, with Lee Williams (Wiggle) in third spot.
The tightly packed Scott UK trio of Nick Craig, Kenta Gallagher and Luke Grivell-Mellor tackled the gruelling ascent to Alexandra Palace with style to land the day’s team award, but it was not enough to topple the Hope squad of Oldham, Dave Collins, Dan Booth, Lee Westwood and Keith Murray.
Alexandra Palace has not held a cyclocross event for over twenty years and yesterday provided a picture-perfect setting for a festival of bike racing. With a crowd of several thousand encouraging everybody from toddlers on balance bikes to novices on mountain bikes whilst enjoying beer, pies, frites, cowbells, music and coffee at this spectacular London venue.
The course also featured a tequila shortcut for the brave-hearted, a popular option in the novice event. “It’s better than most of the ‘cross races I’ve been to in Belgium this year,” said team boss Peter Hargroves.
The Rapha Super Cross Series will return in 2012.
Alexandra Palace Results – Elite
1. Paul Oldham (Hope Technology)
2. Jody Crawforth (Hargroves)
3. Lee Williams (Wiggle)
4. Nick Craig (Scott UK)
5. Steve Adams (Sigma Sport)
6. Kenta Gallagher (Scott UK)
7. Dave Collins (Hope Technology)
8. Luke Grivell-Mellor (Scott UK)
9. Steve James (Hargroves)
10. Seb Batchelor (Wiggle)
Under 23 – Kenta Gallagher (Scott UK)
Rapha Super Cross Series – Final Overall
1. Hope Technology
2. Scott UK
3. Hargroves- Specialized-Trant-Next
Under 23 – Luke Grivell-Mellor (Scott UK)
- We've just added 13 new rides since the weekend to our Rapha #womens100 Find a Ride list. → http://t.co/ux8c1JCuQc
- The team also racing the Ras in Ireland this week. Currently Aaron Buggle is the team's top placed rider in 15th overall.
- Tour Series resumes tonight in Stoke on Trent. RCJ line up is House, Clancy, McCallum, English and Mellor.
- Arboretum → http://t.co/cJXOyDWnK0 #raphasurvey #sanfrancisco #sf #cycling
- There are still a few of these sweet Rapha + Raeburn jackets at the SF @raphacycleclub. http://t.co/C2d98yCRL0
- The hills above. #raphasurvey http://t.co/jlIkXowxyT
- U23 winner in 2012 what's in store for @RichHandley90 in the @anpostras http://t.co/xyZWX3NbtG
- Sunday morning race day, church car park scene. @anpostras #ras2013 http://t.co/2E1UlfAxhe
- Will all these numbers be able to wear the coveted t-shirt in one weeks time? #menoftheras #ras2013 http://t.co/ai1oqnDIyh
- Team about to start the @anpostras probably the Worlds friendliest race.