We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Steeps of San Francisco
Words: Lee Jakobs
I have lived in San Francisco for 20 years, still I am constantly reminded that you can't really know The City unless you do it on two wheels. The up and down, up and down, meandering throughout San Francisco's neighborhoods is as unique a ride as you can find anywhere around the world. This past weekend set out from the Cycle Club to experience 30 of the steepest climbs in The City, 13 of which pitched 27% or greater.
Heading straight up Broderick Street—so windy and steep that cars are not allowed—our ride leader Scot Nicol took us onto the sidewalk because it was steeper. Something about the satisfaction of the top being that much greater. Behind Scot was a motley, but motivated, crew of road and mountain bikes. Some within the group choosing to muscle straight up the climb, others 'checking the mail', zagging across the road to keep from flopping on their backs.
After conquering Filbert, Pollard Place, Kearny and Montgomery we aimed for the flat Embarcadero waterfront for a reprieve. Dodging the SF Giants baseball traffic, we made our way to Potrero Hill and down Vermont Street. This is where the "old" San Francisco still shows itself. 24th Street to the cobblestoned street called Deharo. Over to Bernal Heights, where we finished our 'Steeps of San Francisco' with two of the steepest streets, Prentiss (37%) and Chapman (36%).
- How good is this shot ! “@TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/CrCV1zkCUB”
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: @mike_cuming looking good in yellow! #TdK2013 @johnherety @raphacondor http://t.co/oCjdyhvSue
- Reality check we also lost teammates @AaronBuggle and @carthy94 today. Going to be tough to defend.
- @mike_cuming in yellow with just over a minutes lead going into the final 2 stages of @TourdeKorea2013 couldn't of happened to a nicer guy
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 25km to go in Stage 6. @mike_cuming is the virtual leader for @raphacondor. #TdK2013
- RT @TourdeKorea2013: 102 riders will sign on today after eight were dropped by their teams in the TTT and failed to make the time cut. #TdK…
- RT @London_phill: @raphacondor @MiBsponsor @james_fairbank_ Rapha team in Tour De Korea 2013 TTT http://t.co/SW09x70Zs0
- RT @182Jay: @raphacondor please share my @JustGiving page @thomwilson88, @DavidMetherell1 and I are fundraising for @MyelomaUK http://t.co…
- Great ride by the boys in Korea. 3rd by only 3 seconds in the 25km TTT today. Mike Cuming now up to 5th overall.
- Some nice pics of the boys and report on the great Mr Cancy's ride last night: http://t.co/ctoHu37ixb