We are showing you the Japanese version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Steeps of San Francisco
Words: Lee Jakobs
I have lived in San Francisco for 20 years, still I am constantly reminded that you can't really know The City unless you do it on two wheels. The up and down, up and down, meandering throughout San Francisco's neighborhoods is as unique a ride as you can find anywhere around the world. This past weekend set out from the Cycle Club to experience 30 of the steepest climbs in The City, 13 of which pitched 27% or greater.
Heading straight up Broderick Street—so windy and steep that cars are not allowed—our ride leader Scot Nicol took us onto the sidewalk because it was steeper. Something about the satisfaction of the top being that much greater. Behind Scot was a motley, but motivated, crew of road and mountain bikes. Some within the group choosing to muscle straight up the climb, others 'checking the mail', zagging across the road to keep from flopping on their backs.
After conquering Filbert, Pollard Place, Kearny and Montgomery we aimed for the flat Embarcadero waterfront for a reprieve. Dodging the SF Giants baseball traffic, we made our way to Potrero Hill and down Vermont Street. This is where the "old" San Francisco still shows itself. 24th Street to the cobblestoned street called Deharo. Over to Bernal Heights, where we finished our 'Steeps of San Francisco' with two of the steepest streets, Prentiss (37%) and Chapman (36%).
- Last week was a great one for Rapha Condor JLT, all the action and images now up on the team site: http://t.co/ftBejPnnCJ
- RT @alainrumpf: Well done @mike_cuming and @raphacondorjlt winner of #TdK2013 under the scrutiny of latest drone… http://t.co/gv81uP9mHP
- In their attempt to cross the US in 24 days, @michaeltabtabai & Andrew Hudon will ‘Leave It On The Road’. → http://t.co/Per6QsCAtt
- We are delighted to announce the opening of a one-month, pop-up @RaphaCycleClub in Tokyo this summer from 22/6–21/7 → http://t.co/Jrc0EKZ9ky
- Huge congratulations to @raphacondorjlt’s @mike_cuming for winning the @TourdeKorea2013 and to @tomsoutham for best DS. #TdK2013
- @danfromnam in Corsica — outtake from our 2013 Spring/Summer shoot #corsica #beningstagram http://t.co/03A7pT9mtj
- Winner Winner Chicken Dinner ! The most important jersey of #TdK2013 hot off the press. http://t.co/Pflx0eUfdv”
- What a day... The boys keep Mike Cuming in yellow, after having to chase all day. Great performance by all.
- Just rehearsing the whole of Pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday to recite to the boys...
- UK: Thanks to all who came to to tonight’s Rapha Étape Evening in London with @CyclefitUK — one of our biggest turnouts yet.