Cette page n'a pas encore été traduite en Français.
We are showing you the French version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Vous visitez la version française de notre site internet. Voulez-vous changer de version?
Stay Classy, San Diego
WORDS & PHOTOS: Kansas Waugh
Wedding weekends are guaranteed fun. If you're not having a blast at one moment on the trip, you definitely will later. Sometimes you're lucky enough to be celebrating loved ones with lots of friends and everything is perfect, including the place. I had such luck this summer when I traveled to San Diego to celebrate a marvelous pair of friends, and since there was ample time for riding, I brought along the sled.
There were several rides that weekend, as there were several riders in attendance. Two routes were popular. The first was a short, city ride that I would recommend for anyone into steep hill repeats. This is the northern climb to Soledad Park. Start at the intersection of La Jolla Parkway and Hidden Valley Road and head south on the latter. Turn right on Via Capri and ride it to the top. The grades are between 11% and 14% with a couple of short steps. The views on top are sweet, and somewhere on top of this hill is the former residence of Dr. Seuss.
The other ride is out of town, and it's hugely popular with both locals and visitors. It's basically N Torrey Pines Road north, along the coast. It's faster, for sure, and has beautiful views of the ocean and beaches. Of all the places to stop, and there are many, you must make a point of taking some silent moments at one in particular: the Salk Institute for Biological Studies. The Salk (1959-1966) was designed by the great Louis Khan, and is considered by many to be one of his crowning achievements. In the characteristic concrete and marble so enjoyed by Khan, the Salk is a monumental work of programmatic organization and spacial order, and the central courtyard is one of the world's remaining greats. Its geometric balance and scale are indicative of a strong current of tranquil optimism in humanity that ran through Khan's designs, especially around this period.
There is a small pop-up cafe just outside the entrance gates. Grab an espresso and sit for a few minutes on the marble benches at the near end and look west. I highly recommend it.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of the finest Rapha Grand Tour Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- RT @rapharacing: A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http:…
- Somewhat late to the party, but be sure to check out the film to the recent Gentlemen's Race in… http://t.co/RMZUDuxWRc
- A Rapha travel set is up for grabs in Alpe D'Quiz today, featuring a luxurious Rapha Skincare bundle and Wash Bag. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq
- Cool to see our friends @chriskingbuzz representing in the mix of the elite men's race. #mycielo Parbo! http://t.co/L8g8gNofyR
- The masked man on the cyclocross course today was @jeremypowers. It was that cold. http://t.co/KztIjCYu4O
- Calm and confident on the snow - Katerina Nash is off to an early lead. http://t.co/8TynNP7Nho
- Mr. McDonald's tire choice for today's snowy conditions. Can you guess his PSI? http://t.co/2iHgOw6sUw