We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Stage 17: Pau – Col du Tourmalet
© Janet Pearch Photography
A beastly final mountain stage today, culminating with the legendary Col du Tourmalet. The mountain has inspired many stories from the 74 (as of stage 16) occasions it has featured on the Tour route, none better than the hapless Eugène Christophe in 1913. The Frenchman snapped his forks, walked over eight miles to find a forge to make his own repair, then continued having effectively lost the race. To pile misery upon misery, race officials handed Christophe a 10-minute time penalty – outside assistance was forbidden so the young boy operating the bellows was considered against the rules: harsh, to say the least.
This year is only the second time, however, the Tourmalet has hosted a stage finish. Jean-Pierre Danguillaume won on the mountain in 1974, but Eddy Merckx dominated the Tour, as seen in this grainy but excellent footage of the prologue in Brest. Not a pointy hat or tri-bar in sight.
Brought to you by Rouleur magazine.
- RT @JeanzTweet: Yay! Won a nice wash bag & skincare kit at the @rapharacing #alpedquiz. First time ever i won a prize. You rock #teamrapha …
- @JeanzTweet You’re welcome Jens.
- Congrats to yesterday’s Alpe d'Quiz winner Ben Wooliscroft who won a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/h4frOXDYma
- RT @michaeltabtabai: @rapharacing #oneoftheseplease Custom Carter handmade chefs knife made here in Oregon by Mastersmith Murray Carter htt…
- @Johnlovesbikes they are in transit and should be here later this week. Thanks for checking in, sorry for the delay.
- RT @tubbytrotter: Yay! I've just won the stunning @rapharacing Womens softshell in the brilliant #AlpedQuiz bring on the winter weather htt…
- Still stuck for gift ideas for someone? Scan their Twitter/Instagram feeds for #oneoftheseplease. → http://t.co/qVKiV4q8mQ
- @xuano_4 Yes it is open to anyone.
- Make sure you enter Alpe d'Quiz today. One lucky winner will receive a pair of Rapha GT Shoes. → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq #oneoftheseplease
- Congratulations to the weekend's Alpe d'Quiz winners Joanne Rushton, @tubbytrotter, @jeanztweet. Today's prize draw → http://t.co/3n8XlqiNYq