We are showing you the US version of our site: would you prefer a different location?
Stage 17: Pau – Col du Tourmalet
© Janet Pearch Photography
A beastly final mountain stage today, culminating with the legendary Col du Tourmalet. The mountain has inspired many stories from the 74 (as of stage 16) occasions it has featured on the Tour route, none better than the hapless Eugène Christophe in 1913. The Frenchman snapped his forks, walked over eight miles to find a forge to make his own repair, then continued having effectively lost the race. To pile misery upon misery, race officials handed Christophe a 10-minute time penalty – outside assistance was forbidden so the young boy operating the bellows was considered against the rules: harsh, to say the least.
This year is only the second time, however, the Tourmalet has hosted a stage finish. Jean-Pierre Danguillaume won on the mountain in 1974, but Eddy Merckx dominated the Tour, as seen in this grainy but excellent footage of the prologue in Brest. Not a pointy hat or tri-bar in sight.
Brought to you by Rouleur magazine.
- RT @IonaNiDhalaigh: Yahhh mountain jersey in the bag!!! Nice one @mike_cuming!!! @raphacondor http://t.co/GrGqSL0Kgl
- RT @CondorWarehouse: Nice to see the @raphacondor JLT team bike on display @campagnolosrl HQ with so many top pro teams http://t.co/5CgE0tY…
- RT @anpostras: GC after Stage 4: Bialoblocki,, McConvey, Guldhammer, Handley, Pelletier-Roy, Hunal, Simon Yates, Fodor, Roger Aiken, Archbo…
- Spare a thought for @Porterelliott who punctured out of the yellow jersey group, when will he get some luck!
- Took the @anpostras on today. Didn't quite pull it off. @RichHandley90 4th on GC and @mike_cuming in the KoM jersey.
- Tour series update from Stoke up on the site http://t.co/aVdcnGnkOX
- RT @elstopbanana: Here's Kristian House @raphacondor at last night's @TourSeries picture by Sue Howlett Great racing! @SoTCityCouncil http:…
- RT @sticky_bottle: Meant to say, to be eligible for the @raphacondor team car compeition you have to be a stickybottle twitter follower!
- RT @sticky_bottle: OK folks; nice morning for it. To win a day in the Rapha Condor JLT team car on the Rás last stage, Sunday, just retweet…
- Third team overall for the Men in Black at Stoke last night in the @TourSeries